I had a checkup on January 7th that revealed our "little" monster to be 7.7 pounds already! Everything looked good, but my CDG (the baby's heart rate and movement) wasn't so great. His heart rate was pretty elevated and his movement pretty low. I also wasn't feeling so great and came down with a case of the chills while I was in the doctor's office. She scheduled an appointment for me to come back that Wednesday for another check to ensure that all was well with Parker...but I didn't quite make it to Wednesday...
That night I spiked a fever and just wasn't feeling good at all the next day when I woke up, so when I called my doctor, she advised me to go straight to the hospital, they would be awaiting my arrival. They immediately did another CDG and found Parker's heart rate to be 180-200+, mine was also high and I spiked another fever. After a battery of tests and ultrasounds, I was sent to the Urologist. He did an ultrasound of my kidneys and found my right kidney to be enlarged and inflamed, also not passing urine to my bladder. He said that some kidney enlargement is normal at this stage in pregnancy, but coupled with the infection they had detected in my blood test, I was pretty sick. They hooked me up to antibiotics via an IV and started to monitor Parker's heart rate until it started to lower.
Another meeting with the Urologist revealed some talk about surgery. They were concerned that if the antibiotics did not treat the infection and relieve some of my symptoms that I would have to undergo surgery to correct the problem. After lots of questions, a night of antibiotics, and CDGs every 2 hours, the morning brought some hope. I visited with the Urologist again and my morning blood tests revealed the antibiotics to be working and Parker's heart rate was back into the normal range! I spent another night to ensure that things were going to continue to improve and I came home Thursday night!
I was hospitalized for a few days back in October for a similar issue, but this time the infection was centralized in my kidneys. The doctors have assured me that the issues will resolve after my pregnancy and there will be no long-term side effects at all.
My Mom and Ann have since arrived and we are all anxiously awaiting Parker's arrival! Hopefully my next post will be his official introduction!
All our love xoxo
No comments:
Post a Comment